Monday, January 5, 2009

New year, old friend: Texas week 1, volume

Warm-up:
back squat to 155

5x5 back squat (low-bar)
175, 175, 175, 175, 175

It being the new year, I thought it was time to revisit an old friend I've ignored the past few months being busy with work, travel, and climbing. That trusty friend is, of course, made of iron and has not been getting any lighter. Kept the target low and reasonable, and the squats felt pretty good. Bar position was relatively comfortable. Adductors were feeling it by the second work set, though...

I'm hoping to lift much more regularly, and going to use the Texas Method as a base. I'd like top use the volume and intensity sessions as a weekly anchor, and be flexible with the recovery sessions - maybe work in metcons and climbing-oriented workouts. Can probably go up to 185 next week.

Great topical (and previously posted) quote via Brian:
"The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
-Henry Rollins

5 comments:

brian said...

Nice!

"The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
-Henry Rollins

And that picture is sweet.

kenny g said...

You know what's funny? I was actually thinking of putting a quote from Rollins in that article...

dep said...

I think I'm going to start on your Texas plan too. Need to work the Iron more and I'd like a plan. What do you do for building aerobic endurance?

brian said...

If you dial your weights in properly, you won't have too much gas left to do anything else. The program is for making you strong.

If you insist, you can always throw a quick (<20 min) metcon in at the end to make sure you can still run a mile. Any sort of interval or complex would do the trick.

kenny g said...

I find - especially on volume days - not much left in the tank. Metcons would be marginally beneficial then, I think.

I'm going to try to squeeze in metcons on recovery days, and interval training whenever I can...