Saturday, January 26, 2008

Tabata triathalon madness

CrossfitNYC WOD 011008
"Tabata Shmabata"
Back Squat, 65#
Push Press, 65#
Hang Power Clean, 65#

Eight rounds of each exercise: 20 seconds work and 10 seconds rest. One minute rest between exercises. The bar must be held in the rack or hang position for each 10 second rest period, but may be placed on the floor during the 1 minute rests between exercises.

Back squat
BL: 17, 13, 12, 10, 7, 4, 5, 5
KL: 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 10, 9, 9

Push press
BL: 8, 5, 3, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0
KL: 9, 7, 7, 5, 4, 4, 4, 5

Hang power clean
BL: 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 0, 0
KL: 8, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6

We did this one after another, Brian took one for the team and went first - a very big sacrifice. Holding the bar off the ground between rounds was a devious and demanding addition to the requirements. Rested the bar on my back during the BS and PPs, and on my thighs during the HPCs.

I was mentally going through the CPR checklist in my head as Brian lay on the floor between exercises, but he always got up in time for the next go.

6 comments:

Scott said...

Strong work. I was looking forward to trying this out, but I suppose I'll do it on my own, unless Eric wants to join me. Speaking of, Eric and I are planning to head to the climbing gym tomorrow afternoon. Give either of us a call if you'd like to come.

brian said...

Having a partner is definitely easier; Kenway and I did the workout sequentially. Since you can't drop the bar, it just makes counting and recording reps easier.

Workout was brutal. I had an exertion headache set in after the squats, and even standing with the bar in the PP and HPC rounds where I couldn't fire off a single rep was really tiring.

kenny g said...

Yeah, this one was rough. By the time you get to the push presses, your legs are fried from the squats and it's all you can do to keep from dropping it on your head - especially if like me you choose to rest between rounds with the bar behind your neck. My HPCs were ugly muscle cleans by the end, very little leg catch left.

Brian really soldiered through to keep the bar up for the prescribed 8 rounds...

kenny g said...

Rereading the directions, guess we really shouldn't have rested during the HPCs with the bar on the thighs (it's a good grip rest without burning the shoulders). A strict reading would mean front rack on the PPs too, but I think just finishing at all is good enough for me...

brian said...

It's a bit ambiguous, cause you can rack in front or behind the neck (although perhaps it should be consistent). Also, HPCs can be racked in front, although hanging might be easier. Agreed about resting on the thighs though.

Racking in front would be really hard; of you are trying to save your arms and shoulders, you'll push your elbows up like a front squat, which tends to push up against your throat. Pass out potential?

Scott said...

That could be really awesome. It'd be one of those things to post on youtube if it didn't kill you.